Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kayak Friends


Today began cloudy and I was furious about it. The weather forecast yesterday predicted that it would be lovely and sunny but it was all lies. James went for his every-other-day morning run while I carried on sleeping before having breakfast. I braved it and got the old swimwear on before heading up the pool. It was so cold, I didn't even need suncream. The sun did come out in patches but we decided that it was a good afternoon for kayaking instead. Only me, James, Parge, Barry and Holly and Grace went and it was amazing fun! I didn't quite fit into my life jacket whereas James had a child's one on! We went about four kilometres and it was really hard work towards the end. Parge's canoe had holes in, Holly kept getting splashed and me and James argued a lot about who was paddling on which side and who was doing it right. Needless to say, obviously I was correct. After kayaking, we headed to a place that I have been calling 'Poppy in the Sky with Diamonds' but I think it's actually something like St. Cere du Popie. It's a lovely hillside town that's won an award for being one of France's prettiest towns. We wandered around and bought presents for people before trying to find a restaurant with a table for eleven people. This was difficult, considering there wasn't more than eleven people in the whole village. We gave up and headed to a place a short drive away that the caretaker of the house had recommended and had a fabulous meal. It was exactly what you expect a French restaurant to be like, apart from the salsa music..... I went for the house salad to start which was bigger than I am, followed by a lovely steak with a peppercorn sauce, homemade pomme frites and some sort of brocoli bake. This was followed by some excellent banoffee pie and a cafe au lait. YUM. But unfortunately, now we're back at the house and it smells of poo. That's right: poo. Nanny and Grandad's room is on the ground floor and is the last in the plumbing before the septic tank. And for some reason, the smell has backed up and filled the house. Mine and James' bedroom is directly above this awful health hazard and our room absolutely stinks. James has tried to spray deodrant but it has only made my asthma bad. Interesting night overall......

No comments:

Post a Comment